Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Day trip to Cibola National Wildlife Refuge

It was a fun day yesterday, but the refuge wasn’t what I was expecting. I was thinking more wilderness as opposed to cultivated. But there were a lot of birds and we even saw a coyote. My photo taking abilities have suffered since I haven’t taken any in so long. I took a lot of pictures and only a few are good enough to share. Here are a couple of my favorites, and the rest can be seen at https://www.facebook.com/holly.bonville/media_set?set=a.10209816177853592.1073741980.1006638889&type=3&pnref=story

   





    
Being the dead of winter, there were a lot of critters we didn’t see. I got a free walking stick too. That is still in the car.

I drove to Cibola and Keith did the rest of the driving. :)  After Cibola we went to Glamis CA. Did you know we had our own Sahara Desert? It was pretty impressive. There was also a film shoot going on. Supposedly it is going to be part of a new Star Wars movie. The guy didn’t come right out and say that, but hinted at it. 




Apparently that is where all the big desert films have been recorded. That was fun in itself. 
We headed back to Blythe and had lunch at Wang’s. Chinese food. And since we were right there we went to Kmart so I could grab another pair of jeans for work. I actually grabbed three since they had been marked down and it looked like they were discontinuing them. I got one more pair of my current size and two pair of the next size down. I should be good for a while now. All three pair only cost me $23. And since they are for work, that is more than enough.

A lot of the desert is still sopping wet from all the rain we got. We saw lots of mud, puddles and wet spots. The hills were dark with the water in the ground. It’s surprising since we never get rain and you would think the ground would just suck it all up. 

By the time we got back I  was really, really tired. I had been up since about 4 AM, and not a lot of sleep before that. I downloaded the photos and tried to organize and edit a few, but was too tired to deal with it so I just uploaded them as they were to FB. There were a lot that got deleted since they were crap. I’m out of practice, and I have always had trouble with editing and then finding my photos on the computer once they had been edited and saved. They go somewhere, then I have to try and find them. I wasn’t up to that last night and I don’t think I am going to bother. On my windows machine that was never a problem. It has caused a lot of frustration both past and present.

Back to work today. But it is only tonight and tomorrow night and then I have Friday off. After that I don’t know since I haven’t seen the new schedule yet.

Spotted a nice little camping spot on the Colorado River in Cibola. I think it is the Oxbow Camping Area. It is a fee spot, but there is access to the water and bathrooms. Looks like it could be a possible spot for the shakedown for the trailer. Not too far away, but far enough to feel like I am getting away. Only bad part is that I would have to do about 35 minutes on the highway. Unless I could find a long way around. Not sure I want to haul that on the highway at 65 MPH. 

Nothing on this morning’s agenda except maybe a little more sleep. I did fairly well last night as I fell asleep in front of the TV, woke up and then went back to sleep about an hour later.  My sleep monitor says I got about 76% which is really good for me. I’m usually under 50%. I was really tired. 

I’m glad I got to do something fun yesterday. As always, Keith was good company. Neither of us had been to Wang’s. Found it on google. Was pretty good. I had the mongolian beef, he had orange chicken. The iced tea was really good too.

Monday, after coffee, I removed both the first tarp and the clear vinyl on the roof of the garden and put the new, much larger one on. It is all one piece and should be a lot more effective and a lot easier to get the water off the roof without getting soaked or drowning parts of the garden. It even looks better. 




I pulled the rest of the radishes as they were ready, mixed in some worm castings and reseeded the radishes. Yesterday morning I ordered some more seed online. Endive, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, and some red pansies, burning bush and purple statice. Not sure if any of them will do well, but they were half price and with my eBay bucks, all of those only cost about $5. Considering a bag of greens runs about $3, that is a pretty good savings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment