Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Pruning the grapefruit tree

I finally got the grapefruit tree pruned. It had a good run this year, lots and lots of grapefruit, mostly on one side, but they sure were good. I picked the last of them yesterday.


Gave a few away, and will eat the rest of them. I seem to be loosing weight a bit faster when I eat one per day. I will be sorry to see them go.


I didn't take a before pic, but there were three and four foot or more suckers growing at the top, those are all gone along with some shaping and cut back the sides to stay within the generous drip ring. It looks pretty sad right now, but will look good in a couple of weeks as it is already starting to leaf out.




I would have liked to have taken more off the top, but my pole pruner won't cut thru the thicker branches and I can't reach them with anything else, so this will have to do. Will have to make a trip to the landfill sometime soon to get rid of the brush.

When putting the ladder away I discovered this. Mourning doves will nest just about anywhere. 





It is a good thing I don't use that clothesline or clothes pins much. Too much of a pain to get wet clothes back there and I don't hang my work clothes out in the sun. I always hated hanging out clothes and then having to go take them off the line. Now I just hang them indoors. Same process, just easier. Sometimes I even use my clothes dryer.

Planted a few more seeds yesterday. Pulled up the overgrown mesclun mix and planted three types of lettuce. Also started the coral vine seeds indoors and discovered my geraniums and gazania seeds have sprouted.


Hope they all survive. I have probably lost the annuals that had poked their heads above ground, the tub they are in were iced over this morning and we went below freezing last night. Our one week of winter is late this year. Sigh...I didn't cover anything, probably should have.

Back to work today. My two days went way too fast.




No comments:

Post a Comment