Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Planted the fall garden

Got the garden planted yesterday. Here are some of the things I planted...
Mesclun
spinach
turnip greens
beets
carrots
radishes (both red and white)
swiss chard
tomatoes (three types, one is cherry tomatoes from the grocery store)
peppers (two types)
cukes
asparagus
rhubarb
hubbard squash
acorn squash

There were another green or two that I can't think of at the moment, but am hoping for a good return.

I don't know why I bother with cukes, I have never been able to grow them, but I keep trying.

The tree tomato I am starting in a tray along with lemon and mandarin orange. I also started the asparagus in the tray as I am not sure where I am going to put them if they grow. The rhubarb I started in the garden as it transplants fairly easy. I left the two back corners for extras. I'm always adding something. The last time I tried to start the citrus, they didn't do anything. That was in the spring and it got too hot to fast. Same with the rhubarb and asparagus.

I set up a sprinkler for the top watering until the plants get established. After that it will be just the buried soaker hoses with an occasional top water from the hose. I didn't want to have to water by hand on a daily basis.




The transplanted desert willows did not like being moved. Both of them lost all of their leaves. I have had to cut them back. The smaller one has put out new leaves, but nothing from the larger one yet. Still hoping. 




No comments:

Post a Comment