Sunday, April 26, 2015

Could I have crammed any more into the day?

Wow, what a day yesterday! I got started on the little section in front of the shed, raked up the pea gravel and relocated it to the left of the shed walk way where I kept turning my ankle. Nice to have that fixed. Once I got all the gravel out of that spot (or all that I could get), I moved about a third of the mortar pieces, all that wasn’t in boxes, and then took the hammer and broke them up into smaller pieces. Wedged a few under the edge of the shed and filled in the spot. Then I raked up more pea gravel and covered the mortar pieces with that. The storage bench is now in that spot and looks pretty good. Just about the time I was finishing that up, Pam and Ralph arrived. 



While Ralph was removing the final layer of brick, Pam got me started on a pine needle basket. I had been wanting to learn how to do that and was on my list of things to do for the summer. I was going to just take her class, but she isn’t having one until fall. I got a pretty good start on it yesterday. I worked on it last night while I watched TV until I lost the light. This morning I ordered an Ikea floor lamp so I can work on stuff like that in my chair. I would have continued, but couldn’t see what I was doing. I want to do some more on it today.

It is very slow work. What little you see there is about two hours, but I am just a beginner too.

After Pam and Ralph left, I had lunch and then proceeded to clean up the mess from the wall. Moved both boxes of mortar pieces, which was a challenge because they were quite heavy, and the few pieces of brick that were left over. Ralph had laid out the brick to see how far it would go. We can get five rows which will give me a little over two more feet on the patio, the full length. Nice. I have to rake out the pea gravel so it can be reused when the brick work is done. By the time I finished cleanup, it was time to go get my Bountiful Basket, and then meet some of the ladies at the Mtn Quail Cafe for an early dinner. I don’t think I could have squeezed much more into the day. 

He just laid it out straight, but it is going to have a pattern.

My dinner wasn’t very good. I got a burger and fries. It was a pre packaged burger with a crappy flavor and I didn’t even finish it. I did like the fries tho. I have eaten there twice and haven’t been impressed either time. Will have to try their breakfast at some point and hope that it is better. So it cost me $15 for a burger and fries, including the tip. Since when does a burger and fries cost $15? So far, the Grubsteak burger has been the best, and it had a lot more fries with it.

We had had a special weather alert a couple of days ago for last night, then it disappeared. I guess it showed back up late yesterday and I missed it. All hell broke loose starting with gusty winds in the afternoon, and then a thunderstorm around 8. I was sound asleep and was woken up at 10 by round two. It was pretty intense. That is only the second time it has rained since I moved in. I didn’t get my rain gauge out, so I don’t know how much we got. At one point, before the first round of rain, I felt the whole building shudder with the wind. It was a bit scary. We get a lot of wind out here, but not like that.

My Bountiful Basket consisted of corn on the cob, acorn squash, broccoli, cukes, romain, onions, bananas, a melon, mangoes, apples and potatoes. I was disappointed there were no tomatoes, so I will have to go buy some.

About the only thing I have to do today is move the brick and rake away the gravel to be reused. I would like to get the solar panel moved and figure out how to hang the chandelier on the shed. I guess I am going to have to get a wall mounted plant hanger for that. Which will have to wait until the hardware store is open tomorrow. I just took down the giant thermometer that is unusable because the clear plastic has yellowed and you can’t see thru it anymore. It was ugly anyway. I would love to get a metal sun to put in it’s place. Even better, I will make one out of copper. :) Hmmmm…..Gonna have to think about that. 

Well, it is time to get some breakfast and get this day started. This will be the last cool day, so I want to get the physical work done today if I can. Supposed to be in the 100’s by Wednesday or Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment