Monday, September 7, 2015

Today has to be a better day

Today has to be better than yesterday. I took Vicki’s things down to her place before breakfast while it was still cool, and the place smelled really bad. Didn’t think much of it, it had been closed up for six weeks.  So I went back and got showered and dressed to go out to breakfast with the neighbors. We went to The Main Street Eatery. I hadn’t eaten there yet. Was pretty good. I had my usual two eggs over medium with hash browns, bacon, and a biscuit. With tip, it ran about $11, so it isn’t something I can do on a regular basis. 

Anyway, when I got back, I changed and went back to Vicki’s to open the place up. I discovered what the smell was. Her fridge had been plugged into a GFCI outlet and it had popped. Everything in her freezer defrosted and went bad. I don’t know how long it had been off, but it was bad. I almost lost my breakfast. (I can still smell it). So I proceeded to clean everything out, and wash the fridge and freezer inside and out. I even took the freezer apart to get under the housing. Washed the freezer several times with different cleaners. But I couldn’t get rid of the smell. So I contacted Keith and Lois and we went back and pulled out the fridge and Lois climbed behind and did the floor. That didn’t help. Tried closing the place up and turning on the AC, that didn’t work either. So when Vicki finally got home, she went into a stinky house. To add insult to injury, she had ants that I had to deal with too. I worked on her place from 9:30 to 2PM, and going back a couple of times after. I had to take a second shower because I could smell the stuff on me. 

I left a note for her when I went back to turn on her lights. She actually got home earlier than I had expected, so I walked down to see her and tell her what had happened and tell her about her UPS box. I hadn’t told her that the box gave out, just that it had arrived. I felt horrible all day about the stink, and we both learned a valuable lesson, always clean out the fridge and turn it off before going away any length of time. It may have been down long enough that the smell will never come out. I left baking soda and charcoal in the fridge and freezer and charcoal on the kitchen counter. It was still pretty bad when she got home. She is probably going to have to get a new fridge. I should have gone in and checked things out even when she didn’t ask me to. I thought about it, but she hadn’t asked…

So, before I got my shower, I put the rounds Rusty cut for me in the cupboard. I attached the spinners and got that all setup. It is going to work quite well. :)

The bottom one needs to be modified, it is so large that it droops and doesn’t spin well, but I can fix that. The second one has two rounds, the smaller one underneath to support the larger one and it spins nicely. So I will do something similar with the bottom one. The top one is also a smaller round and spins ok, so I won’t do anything with that until I need to. Rusty didn’t charge me anything to do it or for the materials. It is so nice to have helpful neighbors. And it is really nice to have my third shelf back and to have that done. Will make a huge difference. I am going to keep my eyes open for a three tier spinner tho. Most of the park models here have that, and I could easily install one if I can find one cheap. Yard sale season is coming and I might actually find one. 

The rest of the day I read. And I ached. Castle for the evening. 

Today I will get to start setting up my fall display since Vicki’s plants will be going back to her. We will probably be going to Blythe for groceries since I had to throw out everything in her fridge and freezer. I’m ready for some decent produce. Plus I am just about out of frozen burritos, and I am out of shrimp. Gonna be an expensive trip.

Thursday I am going to go to my first watercolor class. Kay, one of the ladies I met at the rock painting class invited me because I had said that I wanted to learn. I guess the only thing I have to bring is my paints. I’m looking forward to that.

I guess that is about it. I am going to load up Vicki’s plants on the garden cart and take them down before it gets too hot. Then shower and breakfast and see how the day pans out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment