Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I came out to Arizona to get away from the cold and snow, but it seems to have followed. The nights have been in the 20’s and the days in the 40’s and 50’s with wind. I don’t like being out in that. If it doesn’t change soon, I will have to think about relocating somewhere because I am just not setup to withstand these temps. With no electricity, I have no heat and have been running the generator more. That is bad because it uses gas and creates carbon monoxide which comes inside. I did order the extension to get the exhaust above Ody, and a battery operated gas pump and a larger gas can, that will help. But it is freakin cold in here in the morning. This morning it was 40 degrees inside, 27 outside. I can’t fire up the generator until 6 AM, and it has to be off by 10 PM, that is the quiet time.

Supposed to be a group of people climbing Q Mountain today and I had planned on going with them, but it is only going to be in the 40’s and they might not do it. If not, I don’t know what I am going to do today. Nothing much will be open and I did all my town chores yesterday. I also stopped at the Rock and Gem Club and may join that. They have all sorts of shops for jewelry making and classes, field trips, etc. I need to do something with my time.

I have kind of been looking around at properties here. The big thing here is land with water and electric hookups. They are almost affordable and already setup so all you have to do is drive in and hook up. They usually have a shed or a utility building with a full bath and washer and dryer, etc. I looked a a nice one yesterday, but I don’t know what they are asking for it. Tossing around the idea of buying one. I kinda like it here although the summers are unbearable. And I really do miss having a home base. I might call and see what they are asking for it. The DG here is looking for a manager...

Kali Cat seems to be fine. Other than the puddle of pee on the passenger seat, no other strange behavior. That was probably payback for leaving her alone for a day and a half, plus an uncleaned litter box while I was gone. She doesn’t seem to mind not going out. She will sit in the doorway sometimes, but has yet to try to dash by me. And she also doesn’t seem to mind the cooler indoor temps.

I have been going thru butane and gel fuel like it grows on trees here. I use the butane in my little heater and my cook top and the gel fuel is just something I had and am using up for the BTU’s. Yesterday I popped a pan of 16 beans on it and made a soup for dinner. Figured I might as well make it multi task if it was going to burn. Was actually pretty good. Today, and every day after, I need to get serious about my food again. I have stopped loosing weight and my numbers have gone up. I don’t want to go back on the meds and I do want to loose some more weight.  I would still like to fit into the two smaller pair of shorts I bought back in New Mexico for five bucks a pair. 

Next week is it supposed to be in the 70’s so I should be able to have several showers. A five gallon bucket and my little rechargeable shower thing, and it is enough to even get my hair washed and conditioned. I have just been bringing it in and showering in the shower. When it warms up some, I will use my shower enclosure and shower outdoors so I won’t be filling my tanks. I don’t want to have to move Ody any more than necessary.  

I read two books in the afternoon. In the morning I did my town chores. Post office, laundry, shopping. There was no farmers market yesterday. Then I looked at that property that I spotted on the bulletin board at the laundromat. And a quick stop at Salvation Army.

If I go to town today, I will need to get some gas for Ody. Was hoping to put that off until I got the new can and the pump, but I’m having to use the generator more, so I won’t be able to hold out until the beginning of the week. Will probably have to do it a couple of times.

I picked up the sewing machine case and my new little folding grill at the post office yesterday. If it isn’t too windy and cold, I think I will try out the grill tonight. It is pretty kool, folds up into a little box about the size of a laptop. I used the sewing machine for the first time the other day, it works just fine, will just take a little getting used to since it is different from my old one. It is much lighter and easier to move around, and smaller, so it is easier to store. The machine fits in the new bag/case nicely. I have gotten rid of most of the stuff that I hauled out of Ody to setup the bunk area. Still have a couple of bins tho. But have plenty of time to figure out what to do with them. 

Doesn’t seem to be any interest in the scooter, so I may end up keeping it. I will just have to get used to loading and unloading it. I haven’t been using it because it has been just too damned cold. It would have been awesome to have in Rockport and Magnolia Beach. It’s a great toy. :) I did dump it when I took the trash up to the dumpster last week. I didn’t turn off the key, so when I went to get off it, I hit the throttle and off it tried to go. But I’m learning. :) I didn’t go down, but the scooter did. No damage which is surprising since it is mostly plastic.

The hike is on in spite of the cold, so I need to get ready. Wonder where I will be this time next year? Will be interesting to see.

Happy New Year. :)

1 comment: