Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A new basket in the works

I got another basket started yesterday, and this morning I came up with an idea of something I haven’t seen here yet, might just make some money with this one…woven pine needle bracelets. I am going to have to try to make one when I finish this basket. Maybe I have finally come up with something that I can use so I don’t have to get a full time job. I still want to make enough baskets to send out as xmas gifts this year and it is the perfect pastime to keep me busy in the hot weather when I can’t get out to the shed and bang the crap out of copper. I have been looking for something unique to do that hasn’t been done a thousand times before. Lots and lots of jewelry makers here, some much better than mine, some not so much. But everyone and their brother uses that to keep busy.

Today is going to be another day of basket making. This is the basket I started yesterday, haven’t got it planned out yet, but have an image in my head for the finished product.


This is the base, it is 7 inches across. Was fun using the dremel drill press for the first time.


The first round


Starting the wrapping

This one says it needs a handle. I haven’t done a handle yet. Will be interesting. The base is something I picked up at Walmart last week and I got to use my dremel drill press to drill all the holes. That was fun. I hadn’t gotten to use that before. I’m glad I spent the money, it is going to be very handy.

Tomorrow I am riding to Blythe with Vicki to tend to Coco while Vicki gets her hair done. Then they have to go to the vets to get Coco’s traveling health certificate. Then lunch somewhere. It will probably be our last trip out until she comes back. I may finally make my trip to Yuma while she is gone. I have been wanting to do that for a while. I might look for a new recliner while I am at it, but am thinking one of the outdoor recliners would be perfect in the living room. It is considerably smaller than the one I have now. It has done well considering it is used, but is starting to fall apart. I think I got my money’s worth tho. Just having a chair to share with Kali Cat was worth the money. It gets a lot of use. 

Yesterday I spent most of the day working on the new basket. Vicki asked if I wanted to try the new restaurant at the Chevron, so I showered and dressed and off we went. It isn’t a restaurant, but a food counter. We ended up coming back here to eat since there was no place to sit. My first guest for a meal. :) She asked if I had cooked for Keith, and I asked why would I want to do that? :) Besides the fact that he doesn’t eat red meat, that isn’t something I want to get into. I am not a very good hostess, and don’t particularly care to be one.

Keith made it to Flagstaff yesterday. He said it was 70 degrees and he was freezing. I called him a wuss. Then I got to thinking, when was the last time I saw 70 degrees? Indoors or out? It has been a while. I might have been just a little judgmental. :)

I had a little run in with some ants yesterday. The seed block I bought last week had brought them in, and I didn’t realize it until I was standing in them while drilling the holes in the wood for the basket. So I put the block out for the birds, and put down some borax. Those little buggers bite! Thankfully they don’t swarm and bite all at once like fire ants. I have had enough of those bastards. One of the main reasons I didn’t like Texas. Plus the humidity. And giant spiders… Anyway, since the food source is gone, the ants are gone. 

Well, it is getting warm out here. Time to go get dressed and get some more done on the basket. I hope to get quite a bit done today. The handle is going to slow me down as I haven’t done one before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment