Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ants! In the house!

Yesterday turned out to be a not so fun day. I had a major ant problem. The first batch I dealt with was in the kitchen. The sink, counters, etc. I ended up having to pull the stove out because I saw a couple go behind there and this is what I found. It was so nasty I didn’t even want to touch it, but I got it done.

I had some trouble pulling the stove out and discovered that it had caught on the linoleum. You can see the spot in the upper left corner. So I cut that piece out and will have to be careful when I pull it out the next time. I considered cutting the whole section out, but didn’t. This is what it looked like when I finished. I had to do the sides of the stove too, don’t think they had ever been cleaned. Thankfully there were no  ants behind the stove. But they were in the toaster oven on the counter.

I wrapped this up about six and went with burritos for dinner because by then I didn’t feel like cooking. While I was having my dinner, I happened to glance up at the wall and this is what I saw…

The little bastards were everywhere! all along that corner, up the ceiling, half way across the front windows. I sprayed them with the spray I had left and then went and bought four more cans. The stuff from DG kills them on contact, so I had a mess to clean up. That took a couple of hours. I found them outside as well and sprayed those and all the way around the house. It was disgusting. My house is clean and this just really threw me. I’m going to buy some heavy duty stuff this morning. Apparently this is a common problem around here.

I think this is where they came in, there were still some live ones in here… Ugh...

This morning I am going to Herbs and buy some Home Defense and some Spectrum. It is a two stage process and should last a while. Apparently this stuff takes care of all the other nasty crawlies too. Who knows how long it has been since the place has been treated. It has been empty quite a while and the people that lived here were old and I guess they didn’t do much.

Before I started with the ants, I read two books got a morning nap and an afternoon nap. Not much else to do when you aren’t creating. I did end up having to take a second shower after I finished up with the ants. I had been bitten by several, and I had phantom ants. I’m still a little itchy this morning, but so far, no ants. 

So today I will be going out. To Herbs for insecticide and to fill out a job application. Then the post office, DG and Salvation Army. My weekly outing. Don't need much in the way of groceries, trying to use up what I have in the freezer and cupboards. I did get a load of laundry washed, dried and put away by 9:30 yesterday. One of the books was pretty short, the other average. I might finally get back to the library for my card and finish downloading the updates on the laptop. We’ll see how I feel when I get everything else done.

I’m finding myself looking everywhere for the ants. Indoors and out. So far, so good. Lois across the street says it has been years since this place has been treated, which is probably why I got them. Any residual insecticide is probably gone by now. This is my first year here and is a learning experience. As much of a pain in the ass that it was, it could have been worse. Could have been something much more nasty. And I didn’t have to drop everything and get ready for work. I had the time to deal with it. 

Thinking of starting a new basket today. Now that I have been working on them on a daily basis, reading feels like I am wasting my time. I am hoping to get enough made that I can put one or two up for sale. Pine needles aren’t cheap, and I will be needing more soon. Plus, I would like to order the thread. The whole spectrum. I'm hoping my fingers have recovered enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment