Friday, June 26, 2015

Chores

Yesterday was a fairly full day. Vicki and I went to Blythe. Two grocery stores, Rite Aid and KMart. I ended up with a bunch of fruit and veggies and rice cakes. I also got some frozen veggies and some shrimp. I found turnip greens at Albertsons, so I want to make my garlic shrimp stir fry. I was going to do it last night, but I ended up having a late dinner and didn’t feel like cooking. I had frozen burritos instead. My quick and easy dinner when I don't feel like cooking. 

I did get the misting system up and running. I still need to buy a hose to feed it with, but I got to test it out. It brought the temps down between 10 and 15 degrees. I didn’t use their clips to install it because they are nails and I am installing on aluminum. Temporarily I used bent paper clips. Besides, I want to move it to another spot to see if it would be more effective. Where I have it now, the mist is blowing the wrong way. I want to try putting part of it on the short end in the back see if that helps. Once I figure out where it works best, I will do a more permanent installation. 

I bought a live basil and rosemary plant at the grocery store, then bought a couple of pots and some chive seed at KMart. Got the plants combined in one pot and the chive seeds in the other. I put them on the window sill over the kitchen sink. I also got the bracket for the flag pole put up while I had the ladder out. Now I am ready for my flag next week.

I started my laundry about 3:30 in the afternoon. I usually do it in the morning, but everything dries so fast here that I decided to just get it done. I had it all folded and put away within 2 hours. 

I checked the north oleanders this morning, the timer hadn’t kicked in, so I checked the programming and the timer thought it was Saturday. I guess it watered yesterday and I missed it. I fixed that. Lets hope that is the last of the fiddling I have to do with that particular system, There is a lizard that hangs out around that gate that I have to watch out for when I open the gate. It is on rollers and I don’t’ want to squish him.

Today I have strawberries and watermelon to clean and cut, then I will have to take the garbage to the dumpster. I also want to clean and chop the turnip greens, make a salad and make an italian salad with tomatoes and cukes. I didn’t like to cook before and like it even less now. I thought about buying a rotisserie chicken but I had chicken the last two days. Maybe I will get my garlic shrimp and turnip green stir fry tonight. I also need to buy a feeder hose for the misting system and hit the post office.

I’m going to try to remember to turn off the bedroom fan during the day and the living room fan during the night. See if I can’t save a few dollars on my electric bill. I don’t remember if I mentioned it yesterday or not, but it is $170 this month. Major ouch. I also turned down the AC. It is now set to 82 instead of 80. I’m going to have to learn to live with it. I will use the swamp cooler a bit more to try and keep it habitable. It is still a major improvement, even at 82, compared to outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment