Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Experimenting with glass and glass paints.

Got my walk a little late this morning. My alarm is set for 5, and I finally woke up about 5:15. I just needed that first cup of coffee before I did my mile plus. Problem with walking later is that I run into people and have to stop and be friendly. I would rather just walk and be friendly later. Oh well. 

Yesterday I played with the glass that Mary sent and my glass paints. It took pretty much all day to fire these pieces as I can only get one or two in the kiln at a time, and they need cooling time once they have been fired. 

This is what I started with. 


And this is what they looked like when I was finished. I put them all in the same positions as the before photo.


The trees were done with glass paint. The oval tree had to be fired twice because I didn’t like it with just the paint. It needed a coating of glass over it. The one in the upper left was fired twice too because it had a bubble. This morning I ordered some red paint. I want to try some holly leaves and need red for the berries. 

I would really like to get the extra large kiln so I can do larger pieces, plus the xl is big enough to use molds in. But it is pricey, and so are the molds, so I will have to wait.

In between firings I read. I also got the base for the pumpkin basket stained orange, and will get that started in the next day or so. 

We had a high heat warning yesterday which meant it was going over 110 degrees. At one point I saw 118 on the thermometer, but it dropped back to about 111 for the majority of the day. I only went outside to tend to my glass bits. Today isn’t supposed to be any better. I do hope there is AC at the rock painting class this morning. That starts at 9:30, and I still have to find the place. I think I know where it is, but am going to allow a little extra time just in case I am wrong.

Not much else going on here. I am keeping myself busy until things start picking up here and it is cooler. The people that usually monitor the watering will be back around September 16 so I won’t have to do that any more. It is good that I had that to do this summer tho because it got me out walking every morning.

If I’m not too hungry by the time my class is done, I will probably stop at DG today. I didn’t go on Monday. I need a larger bin for my glass supplies, the small one is too small now.

Well, I guess it is time I get myself moving. I need to shower and dress, get some breakfast and choose the rocks I am taking with me this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment