Sunday, August 2, 2015

My first glass fusings

I successfully fused some glass yesterday. My first one came out pretty good. And since it is my first piece, I am going to make it into a pendant for myself. It is the one on the right. The one on the left is my third piece. I blew up the second piece as they have to be absolutely dry, and it wasn’t. I will recycle the glass in another piece.

And my fourth attempt for the day resulted in one useable piece and one that isn’t. The black piece will be recycled at some point too. You can’t see the translucent beads I added. But I do like the blue and green on the clear glass. It’s pretty.

It is a slow process because of the cooling. Takes about an hour for them to cool. The kiln isn’t big enough to make a tree top. If I make my own, I will have to piece it together. I haven’t cut any glass yet, just using the pre cut pieces that came with the kit. 

I didn’t work on my basket. Figured I would give my fingers an extra day, but back to it today. Today I will try the rubber fingers.

I dumped the leaf lettuce that was going bad out for the bunnies yesterday. I put it under the grapefruit tree as sort of compost. What the bunnies won’t eat will go back into the soil as fertilizer. Everything dries so fast here, it will be dust by the end of the week. I don’t have a compost pile, but have started putting some stuff under the tree.

I read my electric meter yesterday and calculated my bill for July. It wasn’t as bad as I had expected, a few dollars less than last month at $198. But July wasn’t as hot as June. I’m getting better about turning off my fans when I leave a room too, that helps. Dropped off my check on my walk this morning.

Another hot and sunny day here. I’m just about ready to move indoors. Tomorrow I will go out. Mainly to the post office, but will probably hit the market and Sal’s. Will be looking for glass tools and useable inexpensive glass. I tried some glass beads I had in the blue and green piece, they worked just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment