Saturday, August 15, 2015

Kokopeli and a dragonfly

It is hot and humid here this morning so I am actually indoors with the computer for a change. We had a nasty storm go thru here yesterday afternoon, dumped almost an inch of rain, dropped the temps, and blew a lot of stuff around. I had to put a few solar lights back, and still need to fix the solar chandelier, but need a ladder for that. But other than that, everything here is fine. One guy, not to far from here, wasn’t as lucky. His trailer got flipped. It is totaled. His awning was out and the trailer wasn’t secured down, and from the photos, looked like it was in the open. 

I tried to take a scooter ride around the park after the worst of the storm was over, but the washes were running and I couldn’t get past B Street. The back gate is locked and I don’t have that key, so I couldn’t go around. I really do need to get that key. I do need to check on Ody and take a quick pass thru this morning if I can get there. I imagine the water has dissipated by now. I will need to get out and do that early because it is going to be nasty out there today with the temps and humidity. Got a few more days of that, more weather coming in, and then maybe some better temps and less humidity.

These washes are usually dry. Instant river...

I have to say I am starting to feel like I need to get out and do something. Go somewhere, do some shopping. I have barely left the park in the last four weeks or so. I also need to get out and find some more rocks. The one I picked up yesterday while I was walking was supposed to be for next week’s class, but it was screaming kokopeli to me. So I did a kokopeli on it. That went fairly well and didn’t take too long, so I decided to do a dragonfly too. Here are yesterday’s rocks…

This rock was rough and hard to paint on, and his horn is all wrong, but the rest of it is pretty good. The lines across the bottom are in the rock itself. I used them as ground lines. This was two different templates that I combined to make the scene. Next time I will leave off the third arm on the cactus.

This is the dragonfly. The cat tails are free hand, the dragonfly was a pattern I printed out. It is actually better than it looks in the photo, and I am very pleased with it. I ordered brushes, so hopefully that will help in the future. For now, I am using 25 year old brushes.

I have everything for rock painting in a plastic bin right by the table, so there is minimal setup to paint a rock and then I just put everything away. My glass stuff is in another bin, and that is fairly easy to access and then put away too. Soon I will be able to do all of this outside or in the shed, when it is cooler. I need to get a vent on the shed roof, that might allow me to use it more if there is some air flow.

I’m thinking I need to take the watercolor class or do some serious studying on painting. I need to learn the basics on shading, etc. I have had absolutely no training or classes on any kind of painting, so even tho I have what I want in my mind, I don’t know how to translate it to the paints and brushes. Although I do have several watercolor books. I should get those out and experiment. Maybe I can teach myself.

I did spend some time on the pumpkin basket after I finished the book I started in the morning. It was a good book and I wanted to see how it turned out. :) I really have to stop starting a book while I eat breakfast. Anyway, I did make some progress….

It is starting to take shape. I am going to try to do a fused glass pumpkin to embellish the basket. Otherwise, it is going to be very plain. I do have halloween charms and some halloween beads. I guess I am going to have to try and find the beads. I saw them not too long ago. 

Well, if I am going to do a quick round of the park before it gets hot and nasty, I should get myself moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment